Golf carts are not like your standard car. However, they’re still vehicles. You might think golf carts are relatively risk-free. While in some cases, this line of thought holds, it is not always true. Golf carts pose unique risks to their owners.
Some golf carts might be simple machines with a few basic functions. Others might have significant modifications, enhancements and special features to improve their performance. Should something happen to your golf cart, you might be on the line for significant costs. Something might damage or destroy the cart, or your actions might harm someone else.
In such instances, a unique insurance policy can help you protect yourself and the bike.
Understanding the Risks Associated with your Golf Cart
As mentioned above, a wide variety of hazards might impact your golf cart. By default, they will impact you, the owner. Think about some of these potential risks:
- Most golf carts do not have the capacity to drive at the same speed of standard vehicles. Furthermore, they usually do not contain the same control capacity of standard cars. For example, these top-heavy vehicles have a propensity to tip over. Usually, they are completely unsuitable for driving on standard roads. You have to drive them with considerable care.
- Golf carts usually are not enclosed. Many don’t carry seat belts either. Therefore, they leave their riders exposed to danger in ways that standard cars do not. This exposure might leave the rider more at risk of injuries in the event of an accident.
- Golf carts often have very limited durability compared to the average vehicle. In the event of an accident, damages might mount quickly.
With such unique chances for damage, it is easy for golf cart owners to understand why they need insurance. Therefore, when you buy a golf cart, you often need to take care to consider the best way to insure it.
Get Insurance on Your Golf Cart
You likely need insurance on your golf cart. There are a variety of ways to insure your vehicle, however, each form will differ. Therefore, take care to insure the cart with the correct policy that fits your needs. Then, use your golf cart in ways that your coverage will always remain active.
Insuring a golf cart is not like insuring a standard vehicle. Owners might be able to protect their vehicle with various types of coverage. This might include:
Nevertheless, each of these types of coverage will contain very specific coverage. Golf cart owners should not carelessly invest in the wrong type of insurance.
Homeowners Insurance for Golf Carts
Some home insurance policies may allow an endorsement for golf cart protection. You can usually add this endorsement to your policy for a small added cost.
However, a homeowners policy endorsement for golf carts is usually limited. For example, golf cart owners must usually confine their use solely to their property or on a golf course. If you stray outside of these covered zones, your endorsement may void.
Auto Insurance for Golf Carts
Sometimes, you can drive your golf cart on public roads. Usually, these golf carts can operate more like a standard vehicle. Many insurers consider these carts low-speed vehicles (LSVs) or all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
Because you can take the vehicle on public roads, you might be able to add an endorsement to your auto insurance. You might have to do so in part using umbrella protection, which can expand the upper limits of your liability protection. However, talk to your insurance provider about whether this option is available to you.
Specialized Golf Cart Insurance
Remember, adding your golf cart to your homeowners or auto insurance may only provide limited protection compared to your needs. You might want more freedom to use your golf cart outside the limitations of these policies. For this reason, you might need golf cart insurance.
Golf cart insurance can help you get full protection for the vehicle. When you buy this protection, it might include:
- Bodily Injury Liability Protection: Can protect drivers in case their driving harms another individual. For example, if you run over another person, this protection might help you pay for their injuries.
- Property Damage Liability Insurance: This coverage can help you pay for damage to someone else’s property.
- Collision Insurance: If you have an accident, this protection can help you pay to repair the golf cart.
- Comprehensive Coverage: A fire, theft, weather or other hazard might damage the golf cart. This coverage can help you afford the coverage you need.
When enrolling in this coverage, talk to your insurance agent. Always tell them how you plan to use your golf cart, and any special aspects associated with the vehicle. They can help you determine how best to protect your golf cart. With the right insurance, you can usually minimize the risks you face when you scoot around town in this convenient vehicle. Never underestimate the importance of carrying insurance on your golf cart. Often, you might find that specialized golf cart insurance is best for you.